Call for Internships
The CIRHS offers unique internship opportunities for students, research scholars and young professionals from various different fields with the desire to learn about India. This is an ideal opportunity for those who feel straightjacketed by current academic options before them, yet wish to learn about their world; those who are seeking a gap year or a space to gain new experiences without the burden of a job; and primarily those who wish to understand Indian culture while exploring the possibility of undertaking research about what they see and experience in India.
If you would like to…
- gain relevant experience in reading, writing and teaching activities related to cutting-edge research in the social sciences, humanities, law and allied subjects
- be part of various activities that the SDM Educational Society and SDM non-governmental organisations undertake in the surrounding areas of Dharmasthala, Mangalore, Udupi and so on
- get a taste of advanced research in the Social Sciences, under the supervision of experts from India and Europe
- be part of a multinational, motivated and professional research team
- live in and around the most beautiful and peaceful temple village, Dharmasthala
- be part of the courses that CIRHS teaches, either as students or as teaching assistants
- further your training in your field of expertise through our partnerships with other
SDM institutions (such as the SDM hospitals, SDM P.G departments and SDM NGOs) and through undertaking short-term research projects under our supervision
- undertake other short-term courses offered at SDM such as those at the Yoga and Naturopathy College or the SDM Cultural Centre
Then you are looking for us!
The CIRHS offers full time internship positions at Ujire (near Dharmasthala), Karnataka, India. The internships are open to Indian as well as international students of any educational background whose interests are allied to our research interests at CIRHS. There are just two requirements here: a deep desire to learn, do and be part of advanced research in the Social Sciences and a level of learning that prepares you to undertake this journey. A Masters degree will be preferred, but is not a prerequisite for applicants.
We do not pay interns, nor do we charge any fees. Expenses on accommodation, sustenance, travel and so on must be borne by the students. The cost of living in a rural context like Ujire, however, is much lower than in cosmopolitan urban India. Subsidised hostels can also be made available. The duration of the internship depends on the nature of activities that the intern takes up. In order for these internships to be fruitful, we recommend a period of stay over 3 to 5 months.
Who is CIRHS?
CIRHS is a research centre established in 2015 at SDM PG College, Ujire, which works within the research programme of the Comparative Science of Cultures. This research
programme has attracted scholars from India, Belgium, the Czech Republic and the UK. Having worked together as a research team over almost two decades, we have grown into a joint family of researchers across India and Europe, who are looking to build a better future.
The motivation for this internship programme comes from our feeling that young people, whether from privileged educational backgrounds or otherwise, are hungering for knowledge. The educational system does not satisfy their hunger at the level of higher education, not because of the lack of resources, but because of the lack of knowledge itself. We do not know enough. In fact, what we know hinders our learning. This insight is at the core of the research programme of the comparative science of cultures and we work towards un-learning the dominant social scientific framework in order to build an alternative framework that will generate knowledge and genuine solutions for the problems India faces today.
For further information
or if you have any questions, write to us with brief details about you and what you are looking for during the internship, at email@example.com